explore a plethora of STEM projects covering numerous
science, technology, engineering, and math standards!
"Frozen"-inspired STEM Challenges
- Create symmetrical snowflakes using K'nex and pattern blocks.
- Snow (saltwater) painting
- Frozen-themed computer game coding
- Solids, liquids, gases observations (melting)
- Construct sugar cube "ice castles."
- Engineer a better sled for Sven & Kristoff to escape the wolves & Marshmallow (snow monster).
3 Billy Goats Gruff: Bridge Engineering
Smitten with SCIENCE: Valentine's Day STEM
Please scroll through the slideshow below for up-close photos of the experiments as well as action shots of 4th grade students with their Kinder-buddies. See full details on each experiment in my Scholastic blog post featuring these simple STEM activities that you can recreate in your own home using items easily found around the house!
SEUSS-Tastic STEM: 10 Apples Up on Top
Students were given Keva planks (but you could use ANY building materials, purchased or recycled) and were asked to build a structure at least one yard tall that could balance and hold at least one apple “up on top.” Once students achieved that goal, they worked to improve their engineering designs to add more apples to their structures. In the time we had, students were able to support up to four apples on their yard-tall towers.